Banana and Blueberry Muffins

I love muffins, especially blueberry muffins but I cannot for the life of me knock out a decent muffin mix to save my life. And I mean. Absolutely Cannot! However I do make a pretty mean cake so I had the brilliantly bright idea to create mufficakes. I made my banana blueberry muffins using a cake mix. The recipe is actually an adaptation of a Carrot cake recipe.


The recipe is from a book that is over 30 years old. Some of the recipes are actually completely old school with lard and dripping and all of those other lovely artery thickening ingredients. As I understand it a lot of traditional recipes (most of the recipes are really traditional and obviously older than the book’s publication date) had lard, dripping and other ingredients like this to make a person fuller because most couldn’t afford to eat huge portions. Adding lards and other type fats would make the person feel fuller. Back then fat was also fuel for the body, burned up during a long hard day’s work.


As you can see the 1970’s cookbook has an older feel, almost as though it is an old fashioned family heirloom. I would love to have a family cookbook, one with recipes passed down through the generations. Given the wide and varied background of my recently discovered ancestors, that cookbook would have been very interesting had it existed!


As you can see my mufficakes didn’t really get the high top muffins do but they were light, moist and oh so delicious.

The search for the best doable muffin recipe continues……..

Comments