Merry Mead Making

I don’t drink anything alcoholic at all. Or more precisely I should say I can’t drink anything alcoholic, I have a very strange reaction to alcohol and it is quite painful. My doctor surmised it may be an allergy of some description but not something I really worried about because it wasn’t life threatening. To that end, I simply never worried about the fact that I couldn’t drink – saves money.



However I have read a few blog and forum posts in communities I belong to where people have been discussing making mead and I thought, why not? Perhaps making a brew from scratch might work. That aside, it would be nice to have something I may be able to drink. I may not be able to either, time will tell. I wanted to make basic mead because I need to know if I like it or can drink it before I do anything too fancy. There is a recipe in my Celtic Folklore Cookbook so this was my recipe of choice.


It has to brew for 6 months at least before it can be drunk so I can’t tell you how it tastes but the recipe was simple; Water, Honey, Lemon Juice, Nutmeg and Allspice (with yeast of course). Straight forward, easy. Hopefully it tastes nice and hopefully I can drink it, if not back to the drawing board.

Comments