What To Do When You Live in a Wildcrafting Dry Spot

I know for me being a witch in the country, especially the country area I live in, wildcrafting is damn near impossible. Unlike Europe or the North American continent we don’t have a host of witchy herbs growing randomly in the wild. I almost cry every time I read a blog that says “I went out and got Borage, Balm of Gilead, St John’s Wort, Burdock etc”, well you get the idea. I think most of Australia (like South Australia where I live) would not have the climes to support this type of growth, not to mention these plants aren’t native to Australia so unless they’ve been planted once upon and time and left to grow rampantly and naturally over a long period of time, chances are these types of herbs will not be springing up in a forest or wood near you.

However, there is hope. Careful identification will net you some pretty nifty herbs if you happen to be looking. In my area alone (and this is my little town) I’ve found growing several witchy herbs that could be used in magic.

Black Nightshade:
The Underworld, Divination, Lunar Magic, Astral Projection

Cotoneaster Tree:
Psychic Powers, Protection, Power, Success

Almond:
Money, Prosperity, Wisdom

Nettle:
Exorcism, Protection, Lust, Healing

Horehound:
Protection, Mental Powers, Exorcism, Healing

Salvation Jane/Patterson’s Curse:
Protection, Wealth, Prosperity

Pine:
Healing, Fertility, Protection, Exorcism, Money

Common Sow Thistle: (also Milk Thistle):
Strength, Protection, Healing, Exorcism, Hex Breaking

All of those herbs above just in my immediate area. Its a few herbs and all can be used for a wide range of things so not such a dry spot after all. The Almond might seem like a strange one, but for some reason, in the Mid North it is growing everywhere, mostly by roadsides.

I would suggest knowing what you are picking, identification is key. If you like the energies of Horehound and Nettle it grows in absolute abundance up this way. The Black Nightshade was a surprise discovery out the front of my house. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it yet, I was thinking of potting it and growing it in a contained environment.

So if you despair that you can’t wildcraft herbs in your area, go out, take a walk and see what’s out there, you may be surprised.

Comments

  1. I must get myself a good reference book so I can identify the plants around our area and when we go for walks up in the Adelaide Hills.
    It would be most helpful.
    Out of the ones that you have mentioned above I have nettle, pine and milk thistle in our area. I also have a wild lavender growing in my garden that I didn't plant and the bees just think it is glorious!!
    I love going for walks and trying to find wildcrafting items :o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment